Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Red Envelopes

So today I received a letter from my school about participating in a protest against abortion. I am supposed to write on an envelope something to the effect of "This envelope represents an unborn child who was killed. It is empty because the child never got to live his life." This letter is supposed to be addressed to President Obama.
Now, I must say I am extremely pro-life. I believe abortion is wrong and I hope to some day help offer an alternative by assisting young mothers with their children. I also believe it is the duty of Christians to stand up for injustice in the world.
However, is this really the way to do it? I guess the idea is all right. It is nonviolent. I suppose I just don't like the view many people in the school have taken against Obama. He is in their minds the "evil man who wants to kill babies." I know that is not true. I believe he stands for some very good things, and I don't see why he is so scorned.
My struggle is the struggle of where do I stand? Yes, I care about babies being murdered, but I also care about soldiers being murdered. If we can write a letter to Obama about abortion, why couldn't we write a letter to Bush about war?
Proverbs and 1 Peter both say to "seek peace and pursue it." Although I don't agree with the attitudes of many of those participating, maybe I can celebrate the fact that some are doing this out of pure motives - love for the babies made in the image of God. It is tragic that they are killed, because they are little portraits of God's image that we will never be able to experience. Some are not doing this because they stand for a political party, but because they stand for humanity.
So many things are involved in this, and I am still unsure of what I think.
Please, share your thoughts.

Live in peace and reflect Christ in all you do.

5 comments:

Thinker said...

you wrote a blog! im so proud of you. :)

i agree that babies killed is just as tragic as soldiers being killed, but we have to start somewhere. just because we dont do anything about one crisis doesnt mean we shouldnt do it for another. i personally have decided to do it because i believe that even if it isnt seen by the president personally, it will hopefully at least get media coverage, on the pro life side, and i think that is lacking in general. the letters about war are next, i think. :)

Thinker said...

oh, and barack and roll man. hehe.

Spencer said...

Obama has clearly said that he does not like abortion and would like to take matters to reduce abortion possible. I also agree that war is the same thing.

The problem I have is a school indoctrinating little kids to have the same views as they do on the abortion issue, when really they should just be teaching children that they SHOULD write their congressman and president.

I agree that abortion is wrong, and I would hope that all Christians feel the same way. But, you know I voted for Obama, and I believe that Obama will reduce abortions to a greater extent than McCain would. I think the school is trying to "change the President's mind" which is very ignorant, because he is also a Christian and does not like abortion.

At church a while back, we all took time and wrote letters to President Bush to promote the One Campaign to help make poverty history. I agree with that.

If our school would have done the same, I would have concurred. If our school would have told us to write President Buh (or Obama) about ending the war, I would have supported it. But just abortion? No. That doesn't show that our school is supporting biblical views, that shows our school is supporting Republican views.

Neither party is the "Christian" party, and both have there strong points and both have their flaws.

Michael said...

I am with Spencer on this one. It is very frustrating for me to talk about Obama with people and school and with my parents. I say that he is against abortion, and my parents say "Oh, well, yeah, that's what he says." I tell the people at school who think he's a Muslim that he's actually a Christian, and they say "Oh, well, yeah, that's what he says." I don't remember such animosity toward Bush.

If we choose to see abortion as murder, but won't see war as murder (and will call it "just," many, many times in the sophomore bible curriculum) then we're being selective about following Christ.

I am not against the idea, because I hate abortion, but this is... stupid. It is like saying, "Here, we hate abortion, now figure something out." Like all the news reporters who are saying that Obama lied because he has not fulfilled all of his campaign promises in the first two months of his term. We expect him to be some kind of superman, like the president has all the answers, when we should be the ones finding alternatives to abortion instead of just vaguely protesting it.

Thinker said...

dear, you need to blog. quickly.